Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Media Forum

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on WoW & WoM photos...
ONLY pure, un-enhanced photos - photos can only be lightened/darkened/cropped/sharpened 48 62.34%
ANY watch photo can be entered - any and all photo enhancing/editing may be used 29 37.66%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-14-2009, 12:52 AM
BDWF Admin Team

Default Re: Please help us to tweak our photo contests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrey
Craig,

I agree w/ you in this case... I voted for that watch and would have regardless background - based on it was a great looking watch.
But as it's been said, I think the feeling is a great watch photo will stand on it own regardless of the background used. Props or not, photo-shopped or not.
Everyone's criteria for voting is their own and every photo has it's own merits and drawbacks.

I believe while the creative juices behind the photoshopped images are great - it does generally put photos that aren't at a slight disadvantage.
I take crap pictures and know it, but I keep my fingers crossed that one week I might just get lucky.

For those "Pro's" like you and Anzac and a few others that just have "it" and take these great shots - keep up the great work - I enjoy seeing it!!

Jon,
I guess I didn't explain my thoughts as well as I could have.... I'll try this way: I've seen what I thought were some KILLER watches that may not have been photographed as well as they could have been (i.e. focus a bit off, lighting or white balance slightly off, maybe the watch wasn't framed symmetrically etc) lose out to photographs of a watch that the photo itself (not the watch in the photograph) was technically superior. Thus my intimation that judging "pictures" of a watch entails judging the watch, the background, the presentation while judging a watch means that the only thing judged would be the watch itself, not the quality of the picture or technical aspects of the photograph. I know that everyone has their own criteria when voting, I'm just relating what earns my vote....

I don't think I have "it" and I'm certainly far from being a pro.... I've just been prone to experimentation and shoot a LOT of frames to find one or two that may be presentable. ANYONE can do it, just hang in there and shoot, shoot, shoot!
Unread 02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Hi, new on the forum. I would prefer that the wristwatch pictures be natural. I am a photographer and capture all images in RAW format. I am very familiar with how "unnatural" you can trick up a photograph.
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

My 2 cents worth,

Back when I started my photography hobby I used a 35mm SLR with a ton of filters to be used depending on what I was shooting, lighting ect. ect. When I went to the dark room I “played with exposure, development times and even paper to “get” that just right photograph. Now I use a DSLR and do the same filtering and darkroom manipulation that I did with my old SLR on my computer or directly through the camera. Most photographers I talk with (amateur to professional) believe that what we do today is the same as before only in a different way using current technology. There were a lot of great points brought up in this thread.
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:11 AM
BDWF Charter Member

Having participated in WOW many times and dozens of times as a voter, I've always viewed the "competition" as the best watch PHOTO, not the photo of the best WATCH. I would sooner vote for a great photo of an Alpha than a lousy photo of a Rolex or Patek. I believe the membership votes for the photo that grabs them the most as a hardcore WIS, not for the watch they think is the "best." If the latter was the case, the guy/gal with the biggest watch budget would always win, and that certainly isn't the case.

"I am not a number...I am a FREE MAN!".....No. 6
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:48 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifichrono
Having participated in WOW many times and dozens of times as a voter, I've always viewed the "competition" as the best watch PHOTO, not the photo of the best WATCH. I would sooner vote for a great photo of an Alpha than a lousy photo of a Rolex or Patek. I believe the membership votes for the photo that grabs them the most as a hardcore WIS, not for the watch they think is the "best." If the latter was the case, the guy/gal with the biggest watch budget would always win, and that certainly isn't the case.

Agreed Tom. I always vote for the best Photo, after all it *is a Photo competition* not a vote on the watch you like best. I hate to say it but I sometimes wonder if some members realise this.
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg
Quote:

Agreed Tom. I always vote for the best Photo, after all it *is a Photo competition* not a vote on the watch you like best. I hate to say it but I sometimes wonder if some members realise this.
I also vote based on the photo.. but I too have wondered how others vote..

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

"Isn't it time we all got Oriented?"

Tony Lewis
New Zealand
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
BDWF WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by neg
Quote:

I also vote based on the photo.. but I too have wondered how others vote..

I agree that "best photo" is what all voters say they look for. But, of course, that's subjective: What does "best" mean for each one who votes?

I must admit that, sometimes, displayed imagination and executed composition will play a role in my choice. But I mainly examine for simple aspects such as focus, glare, and reflections to determine which photo gets my vote, regardless of the brand of the watch featured.

I think other voters may be influenced by the watch itself or the identity of the photographer. (I realize these are uncredited entries in each week's contest, but many times this person is known due to exposure in "My New Watch" and other places around here). We all use different criteria based on what catches our eye and intellect. That's what makes these weekly contests so interesting, IMO.

I have no clue how to differentiate cleverly doctored photos from those that have been skillfully and patiently shot without the aid of software. It might be that we just have to employ the honor system for that. Maybe for those who want to produce pictures just to see what can be done using computer magic, displaying them in the photography section for all to enjoy would seem appropriate.

I just know that I enjoy seeing everyone's photos where ever they show up!

DAVE
Unread 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
BDWF Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg
Quote:

You know fellas, last year I entered this picture in one of the WOW competitions. Quite frankly, from the feedback I was receiving from other users I THINK I had a pretty handy lead when the picture was disqualified as not meeting the requirements for entry. Technically, I DID meet the requirements:

•All images being entered MUST be photographed by the member submitting the entry. (No Exceptions).
•All images being entered should be of a watch personally owned by the member submitting the entry.
•ALL images must be sized to no larger then 800 x 800 Pixels! (To find a "free image editing" package, Google "freeware +image +editing".)
•ANY image submitted can be Black/White, Sepia, Color and/or ANY combination thereof.
•Please limit your entries to TWO different images per weekly contest.
•IF TWO images ARE submitted, they MUST depict different watches!
•Use of photo enhancement software (ie; PSP, PS, GIMP, etc) to perfect your submittal is fine.

Although not centered as the main subject my entry was indeed visible in the watch case. Every other criteria was met and yet I was disqualified... So much for a PHOTO competition.......
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
BDWF MASTER WIS

There are way too many biases in WOW. I think it's one reason why there are only 4 photos each week. Some vote for brand, some for the owner, etc. but not for the the better photo. It's kept people from participating and voting.

Each week there seems to be a clear cut, obvious would-be winner. But, someone with that out of focus, hairy wrist shot always wins someone's vote.
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

The digital images, point & shoot cameras have left me as not much of photographer. Using a Fuji FinePix camera usually in the super macro mode, I do the best I can. Have submitted photos to WOW a few times, never won but I always vote. Use an inexpensive light box from Beach Camera for most of my shots & I try to be careful of dust, finger prints and unwanted reflections as I shoot.

I use Picasa for cropping a digital image (the same thing I used to do in a darkroom) in years past.

Since there is no way to police the pictures that are submitted, let each person turn in their best efforts. Let the rest of us judge the results. There are some fine photographers here on our forum and I enjoy looking at effort they put into their photos and being part of the judging process of the end result.
"The waitress smiled as she brought my coffee and tuna on white. I had forgotten how bad the coffee was. The tuna sandwich had too much mayonnaise, just the way I like it". Stuart M. Kaminsky's Toby Peters