Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Vintage Watches

Unread 12-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default Saying Thanks to an Anonymous Donor for a True Blue Old Seiko...

Blue is not necessarily one of my favorite colors. It's by no means an ugly shade, mind you, but it'll never replace green in my personally popular and preferred pantone. Sometimes, though, I'm lucky enough to come across a shade of blue in a watch-face that bowls me over in ways I couldn't have anticipated on any normal dial day of the watch week. My Seiko "Baby Blue Tuna" and Omega cornflower blue "Constellation" are but two examples that readily come to mind:

But sometimes it's even more impressive than that, like when the watch in question is a vintage piece that I shelled out less than 35 bones for; yup, less than $35 USD. For those of you who follow (and even bid in) the Watchlords charity auctions, this watch will be familiar to you from one of WL's most recent charitable efforts:

Yep, less than thirty-five United States Bones, or, to be exact, $34.57 + shipping, which doesn't really count, so I won't mention it again. As can be seen, it really is a vintage beauty. I gave it a good polishing with a Cape Cod cloth, then added an old surplus sports mesh 'strapelet,' and the result is as follows:

The dial color was applied using a technique that is still in use today, though mostly for military challenge coins or other commemorative medals. Basically, the desired color is mixed into a thick ink that is then pumped through a tiny nozzle and into specific channels and folds of a single or multi-color design. In the case of this watch, the basic dial was pressed from a thin metal blank, to which was applied the hour markers. Once this was completed, the desired dial color was added, leaving only the hour markers showing through the ink. Once the dial color was dry, the final touches -- minute marks, brand name and lume elements -- were added and the finished product placed into the case and under the crystal.

A beautiful old watch in near-excellent condition is a wonderful thing, but even more wonderful, is a beautiful old watch that comes with its original box, in this case a gently aged plastic "clamshell" box from the unpretentious folks at Seiko. Yes it is a simple, two-piece plastic box with gold-foil lettering and trim, but it's one of those really-nice-to-have features that makes an already great buy even better.

The rest of the features are Seiko classic in every way, which, as a committed fan of the brand, I find to be just as beautiful in their own unique designs.

As always, thanks for stopping by to have a look, but most of all, many, many thanks to the original -- and anonymous -- donor whose generous gift made it possible for me to add a very much-appreciated, beautiful addition to my permanent -- or at least as permanent as a frail human being can have -- collection, not to mention the opportunity to give to a very worthy cause.

Last edited by Mortuus; 12-09-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Unread 12-08-2015, 05:46 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

It looks good on you, you damned old goat.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

--Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
Unread 12-08-2015, 06:35 PM
BDWF Exec Admin

Very nice Mort....glad you were able to get that one.
Unread 12-09-2015, 01:41 AM
BDWF Owner

The "Tuna Can" shroud on the diver makes it distinctive (jmho). Sold separately as an accessory - it gives class and draws attention to many other classic Seiko Divers.

My first Vietnam PX purchased Seiko introduced me to the brand name and I've never looked back. Owning a Seiko diver was always apart of my hobby - even before I became a horologist.

The designs here are classic as our Mort always has an eye for style and color combinations that define the best of Seiko's long history.
Unread 12-09-2015, 08:16 AM
BDWF WIS Extraordinaire

Unfortunatetly, my ever more failing eyesight does not allow for reading the description of the watch as it is blue ink on black background.

Judging from your past reviews, Mort, I believe it to be another fine addition to your collection of masterpiece texts.

And yes, that Seiko looks great especially on the mesh.

Enjoy giving it the many, many hours of wrist-time it deserves, Mort.

James Elsener
Owner of Montres Edouard Lauzières
http://www.edouardlauzieres.com
Unread 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Elsener View Post
Unfortunatetly, my ever more failing eyesight does not allow for reading the description of the watch as it is blue ink on black background.

Judging from your past reviews, Mort, I believe it to be another fine addition to your collection of masterpiece texts.

And yes, that Seiko looks great especially on the mesh.

Enjoy giving it the many, many hours of wrist-time it deserves, Mort.

James, I have taken the liberty of removing the hard-to-read blue color from the presentation so that, if desired, you can read the narrative without too much trouble. Many thanks, as always, for your very kind words...
Unread 12-09-2015, 04:32 PM
BDWF WIS Extraordinaire

Dear Mort,

Your helping out my lacking eyesight is very much appreciated. The text is just like I suspected it to be: a masterpiece.

James Elsener
Owner of Montres Edouard Lauzières
http://www.edouardlauzieres.com