Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Vintage Watches

Unread 10-30-2017, 02:26 AM
Banned

Default Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machines for 30 Oct 2017: SOTVC!

Unread 10-31-2017, 11:47 AM
BDWF Owner

Absolutely outstanding Don.

I think a few of those early 1970 - late 60's Seikos made it to the Vietnam PX system - the first - but not last time they've caught my eye. I remember taking one I purchased over there - back 'here (USA) for servicing in 1974 at an American Seiko AD ... the jeweler took one look at the watch and advised me that if 'I wanted it fixed' I should take it back where I bought it ...

Happily - when again visiting Vietnam in December 2013 - that would indeed have been possible ...
Unread 11-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Banned

Many thanks, Mikie; your bon mots are very much appreciated. A while back, I did a MMMM write-up for my Seiko "Pogue," wherein a very good friend of mine, from one of my VA Psycho Group Sessions, told of a similar instance when he brought his "Pogue" in for servicing following his return to The World. Both of these incidents -- and a whole lot more like them -- must've taken place every day in the U.S., especially after 1975 and the fall of Saigon. I was only 16 at the time, but I remember weeping like a baby, watching our embassy Marines risking all to save the lives of their families and those of sympathetic South Vietnamese who would surely have been slaughtered...but, as usual, Olde Morte digresses.

Here's a link to that MMMM piece, with the story of the Pogue watch, and that of my friend, a VN Vet who bought his Pogue over there in the PX. It's a bit long, but I firmly believe it's one of my best ever efforts...and, I'm told that it's a superb sleep-inducer for those occasional nights when you just can't seem to fall asleep.

http://bdwf.net/forum/showthread.php...7s+moldy+Pogue